Friday, February 24, 2017

Bee Prep

Monday was the perfect weather for some outside work that needed to be completed.

I have three packages of honey bees arriving from a local beekeeper in April. I have plenty of equipment but, like everything on a farm, they needed some upkeep before the bees arrive.

Since I am including honeybees in my bug curriculum this year for the younger kids and because I want the kids to grow up with a strong knowledge of beekeeping, I enlisted their help with equipment preparations.


The boxes all needed a good scraping and cleaning up and a fresh coat of paint.
I have always used white paint in the past, but the children and I thought this was a year for color.


The boys put on large, old shirts to protect their nicer clothes and went to town painting the boxes.
Earlier in the day we went to a local store and I let them pick out 3 colors.


It was all fun and games until Luna and Kid starting chasing each other. Luna got green paint on her head and backside. We rinsed it off and then she rolled in dirt. Dogs!


It was a great day for the baby to be outside too. He did nap between tasks :-) Actually the sunshine was a great immune system booster for everyone.

The next day we gathered the equipment, added new frames, and set up our new bee yard near the blueberry bushes.
This are will be expanded some, and we will be fencing it with a permanent fence to keep the cows out.  
All of the kids help set the hives up and I was happy to be working outside with my crew.



Today we gathered all of the bee suits and washed them. This weekend I will gather and organize gloves and veils.  I do need to order some new gloves for the boys still.

We also decided to set up 2 nuts around the property in hopes of attracting a swarm. We bought a paste called Bee Charmer as a lure for the frames. Every day the boys go check the "bee traps" in hopes that we get a swarm. I really hope we do because it would thrill the kids to watch! IO am thinking n early spring might set off early swarms. It was a nice 77 degrees today!

Finally, the German Shepherd baby starts her obedience training in a week. I am excited to see where this dog goes in life. For now, she is the best companion a baby could ask for :-)


Happy Friday Ya'l!!

1 comment:

  1. It appears that children have lots of fun setting up these hives on a good sunny day. I look forward to your next post when these hives will be all set to welcome the bees.

    ReplyDelete

Send some love....leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...