Wednesday, November 18, 2015

That Day I Updated the Blog

Hello. My name is Sam and I have been absent for far too long.

Community theater, although a blast of a time, really put my chores and household responsibilities behind. Way behind.


 
Farm life has been the same, except for the occasional cow antic. Penny discovered a feed can had a hole in its lid. Apparently a cow could fit her head in such hole. It took a bit, but I managed to pull the lid off.  It was also discovered that duct tape will not withstand the power of a hungry cow.
 
 
The kids have discovered, again, the joys of playing card games every morning. I think the dreary. rainy weather makes everyone want to stay inside to eat popcorn and play games.
Works for me.
 
 

Again, thanks to dreary weather, we have re-discovered our love of late afternoon movies, piled up on the sofa. We actually plan to have a Harry Potter movie marathon over Thanksgiving.




We finally processed our last batch of pastured chickens. It was a cool, rainy day but we got the job done. The kids helped and that made the entire process much quicker.
We then moved all of our pullet babies to the chicken tractor so that I can keep them moved around to fresh ground all winter. The pullets should start laying in late February.

It is always a chore to process chickens, but it is a good feeling to have a freezer full going into winter.
I do expect to get some piglets within the next couple of weeks to run through the woods all winter and into the first of spring. We haven't had pigs in several months, waiting for their paddock and woods to recover. It will be nice to have some again.


The rain? Oh the rain has been almost constant here lately. When you have rain and cows, you get muck and more mucky mud.
It has been very mucky around the milking barn, despite the great drainage. Cows really pack the ground down and the water loves to pool up and cause a thick, muddy mess.
I try and remind myself that muck is better than a frozen ground. The cows don't seem to mind either...as long as they are getting a few cows treats at milking time.

So, the last couple of weeks I have been catching up on housework, chores and school. I am ready for the holidays and our movie marathon, and I hope that we can have some relaxing days around here.

If you do not follow me on Instagram, please do. I am taking a short trip and will be posting updates through my instagram. My name is BAREFOOTFARM. 

Until next time.....

Have an awesome week!




1 comment:

  1. Love reading your posts, Sam! Happy Thanksgiving! :) ♥

    ReplyDelete

Send some love....leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...