Monday, September 30, 2013

Minecraft Themed Party

We usually do not throw big themed birthday parties over here. We like to take the birthday kid to lunch or shopping and then we have a large family party. It's always fun, and with so many kids and cousins, playmates are plentiful.

Sometimes we break away from the norm and throw in a little something extra.
Well, this weekend we strayed from the ordinary and threw a Minecraft theme into the family party.

We knew that it would be universally loved by all our children and the cousins. We also knew that it would be easy to pull off and we knew the candy involved would be delicious.

I browsed Pinterest and found a ton of stuff for Minecraft party ideas. The biggest find was a site with free printable graphics. I went back to that site to get the address to share but it has been pulled down. If you browse the web you will find a few sites with printables you can purchase or you might be crafty enough to make your own on the computer. Either way, there are tons of ideas out there.



Essentially I printed the Minecraft card out and laminated it. I figured the kids would want to play with the cards later and laminating them would make it tougher to rip up. For fish we bought goldfish crackers.
   Sticks were pretzels.



Diamonds were blue rock candy. We found rock candy sticks at a party store and loose rocks at a candy store.


Cookies were cookies and red stone was rock candy as well.



For gold we bought Rolos and melons were sour watermelon gummies from a candy store.



I saw several blogs where they made rice crispie cookies and used a black dye. We found black sixlets at a party store and decided they would be perfect and less messy.



Many folks also use twizzlers for TNT. We figured kids would rather have a reeses cup so I taped the TNT label onto a single peanut butter treasure:-)

  Finally I bought some strawberry-kiwi drink from Target and peeled the label off. I replaced the label with a Minecraft one and called it Creeper Juice. Throw in a few spiders and green balloons and you've got happy Minecrafting kids!

We still had our large family party aspect with a meal of homemade lasagna and salad, but the kids were able to grab treats throughout the party.



It was a nice little party for my growing three year old! He is still too young to really grasp the idea of opening presents and insisted on having Journee help.


The cake? It was not Minecraft themed, but rather a simple yummy cake from Costco. Usually I bake a cake, but I decided to buy since we had a movie night the night before.

Everyone had a great time and the kids were thrilled to have a special Minecraft theme full of treats!!! By far the rock candy was the favorite, although I still prefer a reeses cup!

We are getting ready for American Meat night on Friday! I will be posting a how to video on our portable outdoor movie screen! Come back in a couple of days and see how we built ours!

Have  fabulous day!

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get the labels? My son's party is on the first and I'm in dire need of these. TIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britney,
      I cannot remember exactly where I found my print outs. I just did a web search and also looked on Pinterest. I did find this place you could use http://catchmyparty.com/blog/free-minecraft-party-printables-from-printabelle Good luck! This really is a fun party!

      Delete
  2. Howdy I am so happy I found your site, I really found you by mistake,
    while I was browsing on Bing for something else,
    Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thanks for
    a remarkable post and a all round exciting blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse
    it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added your
    RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great b.


    Feel free to visit my web-site :: http://www.sypie.przeprowadzkikrakow.eu

    ReplyDelete

Send some love....leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...