Saturday, March 19, 2011

Homemade Oreos

Just a reminder that I am giving away a quilt I made! Just donate $10 with my Chip In button  on the left side of this blog to enter! ALL money will go to Amazima Ministries and will help the orphans and the poor in Uganda!

My dear grandmother died last May. Well, her house just sold and my mother drove out West to collect some personal items and one of those precious items was my grandmother's cookbook. Last weekend we were browsing through the pages and there were a few recipes handwritten by my grandmother tucked within the pages of this favorite cookbook.
One recipe was for Homemade Oreo Cookies.
I do not believe my grandmother ever made these. I am sure she thought they sounded yummy (who wouldn't?) and wrote the recipe down to try "one day."
Haven't we all done that? How many recipes have you written down and never tried?
Well, I made them today. I made them for my kids and for myself and for my mom and most of all for my grandmother.

Let me warn you now that these are SIMPLE and very, Very, VERY RICH! I can handle quite a bit of sweet but these are over the top sweet!

First get 2 boxes of devil's food cake mixes and pour them into a bowl. Add 4 eggs, 2/3 C oil and mix it up. It will be thick.
The recipe says to roll dough into about 100 balls but I had a baby on my hip so I used a small cookie scooper and scooped uniform sizes onto ungreased baking sheets. I ended up with 80 balls, which will make 40 oreos. Bake these for about 10-12 minutes at 350. Let them cool on a wire rack completely.
...or on the counter. I do not have enough wire racks for this many cookies!
Now to the filling! Mix together 1/2 C buttter, 8 oz cream cheese, 2 tsp vanilla and 2-3 C powder sugar. I used 3 C. Mix it well.
Butter+cream cheese+sugar= YUMMY!

Use this to spread on a cookie and top with another! BTW, the recipe states that these freeze well. That will not be an issue since I am sure they will be gone in a day or two, BUT after much deliberation and some consultation with my mother, I decided these should be stored in the fridge. I wouldn't want that cream cheese center to melt!
Enjoy!

Homemade Oreo Cookies
2 pkg. Devils Food cake mix
2/3 C oil
4 eggs
Mix together. Will be stiff. Make into 100 balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheet 10-12 minutes at 350. Allow to cool on cooling rack.


Filling:
1/2 C butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla
2-3 C powder sugar


Mix well and use to spread on cookie. Top with another cookie. Make yourself eating said cookies.
These freeze well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send some love....leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...